Thursday 12 January 2012

Blue Rock


Blue Rock is a quarry that was long ago pumped full of water and left to the amusement and in the hands of kitesurfers, wakeboarders and adrenaline junkies for them to unite and create an incredible area where for a R35 entrance fee you can make your way down a dusty road to paradise.
A few friends and myself decided to make it our weekend mission, the venue itself being a smooth 45 minutes out of Cape Town towards Somerset West

But when we got there it was simply fantastic! Even though you may pay R200 for rental of a wakeboard for about 2 hours, I can absolutely guarantee it was worth it.
The 'cable' runs on a pulley system that tows you around the quarry, as you feel the slack and tensing of the cable you learn to tune yourself into the various hurdles and obstacles, such as those too weak to hold on, and have a blast.
I tried my hand at the knee boarding, and lo and behold! I bailed. Absolutely miserably, but thanks to my supportive posse, after a few more shouts I managed to make half a circuit before succumbing to the pressure and heading back to the relaxing braai area where multiple bottles of beer had been cracked open.

There is also a place where you can go and order some very basic things, a toasted sandwich or a burger, and a delicious selection o ice-cream is also at your beck and call.

I'm going to say that I had a wonderful time with friends and the price I paid was well worth the short escape!

No comments:

Post a Comment